Congrats to the winners and everyone who entered!
Crab Tree by
Wow, what awesome entries! As promised, you'll all be seeing your characters
in upcoming pages of Nice Teeth. I've assigned them roles - as seen in the final layout - so you might have an idea of where to see them when they show up. Thank you to everyone that entered!
So far, the only requests I remember to keep these characters unharmed are for Olig, Leo and Kendra. If anyone else wants to ensure your character isn't munched, please note me and let me know.
1. Aly - She looks very nice, hip and stylish! Definitely popular. She'll be a groupie for Crystal Deth, the Island's biggest rock band.
2. Bouquet - She took the showing skin idea to heart, hm? Her sassy expressions were at odds with the flowers she wears, giving her a confident, alpha vibe. She'll be one of the Island's finest escorts.
3. Villaine - The perfect balance of goofy and fitting in at once. He definitely needs his own television show - about the most sensational made up science a board of writers could ever produce.
4. Brian - I like how this entry started as a standalone, but grew into a sort of grudging relationship with the next one. He'll fit in perfectly under the demanding order of his boat captain brother, assisting passengers get a glimpse of the fabled Lake Monster.
5. M.U.S.E - By the looks of her, she's not afraid to be the life of a party - or twenty; a DJing job means she gets to party.
6. Unnamed trunks guy - This guy looks like that one inevitable senior citizen who never leaves the beach. Having a life guarding gig is the perfect excuse, though how good he actually is at swimming with those little legs is anyone's guess.
7. Liz - The sweatshirt, the sweet face, the unobtrusive clothing; she seems less like a partygirl and more of a conservatist. And boy, the animals of the Island sure do need help. She'll be a zookeeper.
8. Unnamed yellow guy - OH GOSH HELP I'M SCARED PUT ON SOME PANTS PLEASE. This is the lifeguard you'd rather drown than get mouth to mouth from.
9. Mutant dog - Half dog, half worm, all ew. Wouldn't want that thing humping my leg. I'm not sure if you intended this to be sentient - poor thing if so! Either way, it's in the zoo.
10. Collie - What a geeky smile! I bet his laugh could irritate people from miles away. He's definitely way too obsessed with a lot of things - and Crystal Deth is the perfect excuse to obsess over.
11. Stella - My mouth dropped open when I saw her - she's just fantastic! Individually, the elements of her design are odd - the crazy long dreadlocks, the scale bikini top, the mesh armband and the one arm missing because of something she saw on tv - but it pulls together in such a satisfying way. She's not only famous - she's revered across the Island; competition even for Crystal Deth! Congrats!
12. Crab Tree and Bunny - Wow! This looks like a character I'd like to design but have never put together; she's sassy, small and not too bright, but so appealing and precious at the same time. Her friendship with Bunny is sweet as well - I can imagine him as the muscle, saving her when she lets her mouth go. Great job!
13. Scuro - He's still nuts like everyone else, but in his own unique, aggressive way. He's going to start a trend, and you'd better wear it or else. Naturally, he'll be a fashion designer.
14. Bob - A close contender for third! He's got a great, lumbering shape to him and he looks so sweet and neighborhood
15. "The Shy One" - She looks very sweet and reserved! Her style might reject the Island's in general, but she's pretty enough to make up for it, at least in the eyes of her shallower peers.
16. Leo - Aw, what a sweetheart! He looks like a great friend, and really into nature. If he doesn't care about the trees, who will?
17. Tsu -Another close contender for 3rd place - I love all the thought put into him and his unique system of communication - completely hilarious and Islandish to the core. Very good job! Bodyguarding's in his blood.
18. Galvas - The Island doesn't have much in the way of waves, but I imagine Tsu doing a bellyflop would do the trick. Otherwise, he just belongs on television. That chesthair must be the envy of many!
19. Lina - I love the detail of her holding her head a specific way - and probably flipping out when the camera gets the wrong angle! Very appropriate adaptation - and coincidentally, a similar adaptation as another character with a strange head. She gets her dream - to be a spokeswoman for the Krohm Arena's sponsor of choice.
20. Unnammed old lady - Oh gosh, her outfit's just perfect. The scarf, the bikini top, the socks - she's hilariously awesome. She bore a bit too close of a resemblance to a turtle, but I hope my version captures a bit of her magnificence. Good job thinking outside the box here - young sexy people would be in vogue and majority, but only a sullen, hardass few would survive into old, defiant age.
21. - Muttony - Wow, this guy's crazy! I don't know if you just drew him with a special glow around him, but to me it's canon now that he glows like a glowstick. I imagine his voice in a baritone that uproots trees. Too amazing! He'll be a street singer, earning a hobo's living with his trusty guitar.
22. Olig - Now, where have I seen this guy before? Olig might get a few looks for his raggedy outfit, but with his wit and ability to escape a bad situation, I'm thinking he'd be fine. I had a bit of a tough time placing him, but when any Islander's in search of identity, music appreciation is an obvious answer. Plus, he can always make his neck longer and see the stage from any row he's in.
23. Not Nice - A fighter! I'd hoped for some of these! He completely looks the part, and his little ironic touch of stateliness in his tie is a simple, but effective personality booster. He looks like a guy that goes through a lot of shades - and he will as a fighter!
24. Sam - This design said two things to me - she has opinions and she doesn't give a damn about what you think of them.
25. Harvey - Again, loving the complex he has with Brian. He looks just seedy enough to take people's money without remorse in exchange for a false premise - a glimpse at the 'lake monster' - and brave enough to tackle the lake monster if it ever did appear. Great stuff.
26. "The Lolita" - Another beautiful girl! She fits right alongside your other entry - a pair of important people, no doubt! They'll work together as 'reporters' for the Sexy Action News team - who else more appropriate?
27. Peaches - Now this is fantastic! She may not be a rock star or anyone of great importance, but her design works so perfectly with her personality - her stubby horns, the long hair, the sad face, the thick body and adorably random cute eyes. Who would make fun of her when she's looking at you like that? I couldn't! But for this awesome design, she'll be one of the many lacking confidence because of the Island's oppressive addiction to image.
28. Grikan - The image of a fishman with a snorkel is funny enough in itself - the beer takes it to another level. With such a specific specialization, he has to spend his time near the water where few dare to dive - retrieving lost items for commissioners or blackmail.
29. Amethyst - Now, this is different! One of the most challenging designs for me to place for certain. I decided she'd probably take advantage of her height and go for a stunt double job for children in movies. Random? Yes. Such is the Island though.
30. Lex - This guy made me laugh out loud. He oozes confidence like slime - slimy confidence! Very fun. His t-shirt practically demands he be an escort. He's got to share his gift with the world, right?
31. Kyran - Very sleek looking guy here! He has great weapons and I love his balance and his feet. Had he a little more backstory, he'd definitely be a contender for third. He needs to be a fighter.
32. Kendra - Good ol' Kendra. Her shades are very in character here; there'd be a lot of judging glances at her to deal with all day. Luckily, there's a niche perfect for her peculiar extracurricular tastes - the host of a porn channel.